No two contemporary bedroom designs are exactly the same. After all, everyone has different tastes, preferences, and budgets, so unless two people hire the same professional interior designer, it’d be nearly impossible to achieve the same look as someone else.
But though everybody’s room comes out differently, there are typically a few characteristics the best ones have in common. If you’re currently re-designing your bedroom, consider working these contemporary staples into your space:
- A headboard. A great headboard is a must. It’s a great focal point of a room, and can help pull your color palette together in an instant. If you don’t have the funds to buy one, doing it yourself is actually pretty easy. You just need some plywood, batting, fabric, and a staple gun.
- A centerpiece dresser. Invest in one high-quality, eye-catching dresser or armoire for your space. Find one with great color, classy drawer pulls, or some other “wow” factor that really catches the eye.
- An accent wall. Though you might not want to paint your entire room bright green, a single accent wall of the color can be a great option. It adds a little pop to the space, making it happy and bright without being too overwhelming.
- Great window dressings. Windows are the eyes of a room, so don’t forget to dress them up. Don’t just throw up some plain black curtains and call it a day. Really invest time and effort into making this part of your space look great. You’ll be surprised at how noticeable it’ll end up being.
- A complementary bedding set. In a bedroom, the bed is the biggest focal point of the space. An old, ratty quilt isn’t going to give your room the chic look you want, so invest in a high-quality duvet or comforter. Try a simple white or beige one and add fun pillows as an accent, or try a whole patterned comforter set.
These are just a few characteristics that most contemporary bedroom designs have in common. For more ideas, check out our Behind the Seams blog now.