There’s nothing worse than lying in bed and being unable to fall asleep. Unfortunately, this happens way more often than most of us would like. With our busy schedules, work and social stresses, and multiple thoughts running through our heads, it can be hard to fall asleep at all, let alone quickly.
Does this happen to you often? Do you want to learn how to fall asleep faster and more soundly? Then follow these five tips:
- Avoid bright screens an hour before bed. Watching TV, reading a Kindle, or looking at your phone are sure ways to wake your mind up. Try to avoid anything with a backlit screen for at least an hour before bed. Give your brain time to wind down.
- Take a warm bath or shower. It’s not the warm water that relaxes you, but the rapid cool-down once you exit the tub. Research has proven that this decrease in body temperature can lead to sleepiness, and it can help you fall asleep faster and sleep more soundly once you do.
- Put on socks. The best way to trigger sleep is to have a cool core and warm extremities. After you hop out of the bath, try putting on a pair of wooly socks. Let your central body temperature drop while your feet stay warm and toasty. You’ll be ready for sleep in minutes.
- Dim the lights before bedtime. Start getting yourself in sleep mode by dimming the lights as bedtime approaches. Bright white lights can actually wake up your brain and keep it active, so you want to avoid these as much as possible at night.
- Try aromatherapy. Certain scents, particularly lavender, marjoram, vanilla, and sandalwood, have a calming effect. Try lighting a candle or incense stick in one of these scents before bedtime, and get your body and mind relaxed.
Start working these tips into your daily life, and see if your sleep patterns improve. For more tips on how to fall asleep faster, check out our Behind the Seams blog.