Being sleepy and tired in the morning isn’t just annoying, it’s a downright detriment to your health. We all like to sleep, but sleep is also crucial to our overall health and wellness. It affects our cognitive abilities, our weight, our immune system, and much more.
Are you getting enough sleep? If not, it may be time to change that. Here are just a few benefits of getting enough sleep:
- Improved memory – Sleep allows your brain to consolidate, process, and store any new information or skills you learned during the day and make it easier to recall them in the future.
- Reduced inflammation – Too little sleep can cause inflammation and chronic pain. But getting enough sleep? That can reduce inflammation, blood pressure, arthritis symptoms, and more.
- Better athletic performance – Sleep can improve your athletic performance, too. In fact, a study from Stanford University found that football players improved their sprint time and had less fatigue and more stamina when they slept for at least 10 hours a night.
- Reduced stress levels – If you’re feeling anxious or stressed, increasing your sleep can be a big help. It can also improve your mood and stave off depression.
- Easier weight loss – Because sleep and metabolic rates are controlled by the same areas of the brain, more sleep can also make it easier to lose weight or maintain your current weight.
- Less chronic pain – Sleep can also reduce chronic aches and pains. In fact, if you don’t get enough sleep, it can actually lower your pain threshold and make pain more prevalent.
These are just a few of the many benefits of getting enough sleep. Want to take advantage of them? Start allowing more time for sleep in your life, or invest in a better mattress that makes a good night’s sleep easy. Stop by Parklane Mattresses to find one today.