If you’re looking to spice up your home, try these seven DIY bedroom wall decorating ideas.
While most people choose to simply cover their walls with store-bought décor and artwork, there are many more options at your disposal, especially if you’re willing to do things yourself. As a homeowner, think of your walls as a blank canvas on which you can hang art, display pictures, paint a mural, or do anything else you want. Check out the following seven DIY bedroom wall decorating ideas for some inspiration on how to decorate the walls in your own home in a fun and unique way:
- Frame great printed wallpaper. Covering entire walls with printed or patterned wallpaper is always an option, but this can sometimes be overwhelming or overpowering, particularly in smaller spaces. A great way to avoid this is to take a small piece of wallpaper that you love and put it in an ornate, eye-catching frame. Use it as you would a piece of art in one part of a room, rather than covering a whole wall.
- Paint a shutter and use it to store cards, pictures and more. Find an older shutter (either from your house or a thrift store) and paint it to match your room’s color scheme. Once it dries, hang it on the wall using brackets or nails, and utilize the shutter’s flaps to display your favorite pictures and mementos. You can do the same in the kitchen to keep your mail and bills organized.
- Paint a window frame and use it to display photos. This is one of the more popular bedroom wall decorating ideas. Find an old paned window and paint the entire frame, then use each pane to display a different photograph and hang the finished product on the wall. It’s a great way to add color and a personal touch to your room.
- Spray paint a shoebox and use it as a shelf or shadowbox. Shoeboxes, crates, and other square-shaped boxes make great additions to any wall. Spray paint them in a tone that matches your space or cover the inside with a fun, patterned paper, then hang them on the walls and use them to display picture frames, flowers, artwork or books.
- Create a magnetic scrabble board. Add a bit of fun and whimsy to your space by turning an old Scrabble board into a work of art. Take a large, square-shaped magnet and place it behind the Scrabble board, then frame the board and use smaller magnets to turn each letter into a moveable magnetic piece. Hang the board on your wall and have some fun!
- Install mason jars or small bottles and use them as planters. Turn your wall into your very own garden! Pick up some small mason jars and bottles and paint them to coordinate with your space. Once they’ve dried, fill them with dirt and your favorite flowers or plants, and then mount them on the wall. All you have to do is give them some water once in a while, and you’ll have a living art display all year round.
- Cover it in wood. If you have a rustic theme throughout your home, this is the idea for you. Take wood planks (either recycled ones or new ones) and cover a single wall from top to bottom. This creates a unique accent wall and gives your room a beautiful, rustic focal point. You can paint the wood to add more pop, or stain it in different tones for some eclectic flair.
If you want more bedroom wall decorating ideas, browse the Parklane Mattresses blog. You’ll find tons of great information on home décor, interior design and more.