Modern bedrooms are more than just a place to sleep. Nowadays, they often double as home offices, TV lounges, and even social centers. When the subject of wall decorations comes up, most people think of hanging a few paintings or framed photos and leaving it at that, but because of their multiple uses, bedroom design should support an environment that gets lots of use and should be stimulating. Bedroom wall decorating ideas to foster this type of environment are limited only by your imagination.
If you’re the kind of person who likes to experiment with new ideas over traditional home decor, then here are some suggestions to spark your imagination and give you some inspiration.
Idea # 1: Alternative Wall Art
There’s no law that says you can only hang pictures on your bedroom walls. In fact, the options are limited only by your budget and your creativity. Here are some of the many objects that people use to add a splash of color and design to their bedrooms:
1. Plates – These are available in an almost endless selection of colors, sizes, textures, and designs. You can find collectible plates that reflect almost any interest imaginable, including wildlife, sports, historical figures, US states, countries of the world, famous quotes, and hundreds of others. Surf the Internet or visit a local flea market or antiques stores to get some ideas.
2. Crafts – Some knitters display mittens, scarves, etc. Sculptors show off their small to mid-sized creations. Jewelry makers, stained glass artists, and metal foil workers have all found a place on their bedroom walls for their creations. One-of-a-kind or uncommon artwork is a great way to give your bedroom a unique identity. Home improvement centers sell display shelves that can support all kinds of objects. Just be sure you don’t go over the hardware’s weight rating, which is listed on the package it comes in.
3. Collections – Whether you’re into coins, stamps, comic books, figurines, beer mugs, seashells, or whatever, you may find that your bedroom walls are ideal for showing off your treasures. As with crafts, display shelves are available in all sorts of shapes and sizes to assist you with the project, or you can frame objects like coins and stamps and mount them just like you would photos or paintings.
Idea # 2: Wall murals
How does turning an entire wall into one giant piece of art sound to you? Floor-to-ceiling murals are hot right now. If you’re artistically inclined, then you can create your own with whatever media you prefer to work with, but if you’re one of the many of us who can’t even draw a decent smiley face, then don’t worry – both Internet and brick-and-mortar vendors sell murals with thousands of illustrations to choose from, including beach scenes, views of the forest, or even objects in outer space. They apply much like wallpaper does, and can give your bedroom an incredible new look for a relatively low price.
Idea # 3: The Sky’s the Limit!
As we said before, your options for wall decorations are limited only by your budget and your creativity. Here are some other ideas you might find of interest.
• If your bedroom is small, then you can make it appear much larger by hanging a sizeable mirror on one or more of the walls. It’s amazing how much “space” this one simple trick can add.
• Glow-in-the-dark additives can be mixed in with any paint. Imagine painting a scene on your bedroom walls and seeing it light up as soon as you turn off your lamp!
• Anything that can be glued to your walls is a potential decoration. Let your thoughts go where they choose, and you’ll soon come up with all kinds of delightfully off-the-wall ideas for turning your bedroom walls into something truly one-of-a-kind.
With all this talk about decorating bedroom walls, we almost forget to mention the primary activity that bedrooms are intended for – sleep. A good night’s rest is the foundation for a successful day, and here at Parklane Mattresses, we can help you get the slumber you’re craving. Browse our product line and feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.