You can do a quick Google search, and find thousands of “mattress shopping tips“in seconds. For the most part, however, those are going to come from non-experts – people who may have bought a few mattresses in their time, but are not true pros in the subject. Their tips may be helpful, but nothing game-changing or earth-shattering.
To stand out from the pack, we’ve gathered some inside mattress shopping tips from our in-store experts. These are pros who really know the ins and outs of the mattress business, and their tips can save you money, time, and effort, helping you get the mattress of your dreams easily, quickly, and at a suitable price.
Are you on the hunt for a new mattress? Then put these insider tips to good use:
- Avoid places that negotiate. If you’re at a mattress store that is willing to negotiate on pricing, it’s time to run for the hills. The retailer wouldn’t put negotiations on the table unless the products were already priced higher than they should be. The merchant probably isn’t willing to take a loss, so don’t think the negotiations will work in your favor. Find a store that offers low pricing from the start.
- Read return policies carefully. It’s totally possible to love a bed in the store, but then get it home and sleep terribly on it. If this happens, you’ll want to return or exchange the mattress, right? Unfortunately, many return policies don’t allow for this. To safeguard yourself as much as possible, always buy from a store that has a built-in trial period or guarantee.
- Ask about the proper framing and box spring before you buy. Most places won’t tell you, but each type of mattress needs a different support system. If you want your mattress to last as long as possible (and be comfortable when you sleep), then it’s crucial you get the appropriate supports for it. Make sure you talk to the sales associate about this before you buy. It may help to find out what supports the mattress is on in the showroom, and if you can, purchase those same types and models.
- If you’re wishy-washy, don’t buy. Many shoppers are totally fine settling for a so-so mattress. Maybe it’s because the price tag is right, or they just don’t feel like shopping anymore. Regardless of the reason, this is always a bad decision. You’ll be using the mattress every night for many years to come, and if you want to be happy and healthy, it should be comfortable. Never settle for just any mattress; if you’re not in love with it, keep on shopping.
- Know your temperature. Do you or your spouse run hot, or do you find yourself sweating at night? Then you should look carefully at the materials in your mattress. Synthetics like polyester or rayon hold in heat, and might make you uncomfortable. Natural fibers like wool or silk will help better regulate your body temperature.
Ready to put these insider mattress shopping tips to use? Then stop by a Parklane Mattresses location today. One of our mattress experts can help you find the perfect product for your needs and budget.