The following are just a few things you should know when it comes to shopping for child mattresses.
First it’s the crib, then it’s the toddler bed, and now it’s time to move your growing child to a bed that he or she will most likely use for the next several years. There are many types of child mattresses on the market. It is wise to select one that will continue to accommodate your child as he or she grows, as this can save you money in the long run. So how do you know what to look for? The following are just a few things you should know when it comes to shopping for child mattresses:
- When selecting a size, take into consideration the age and or height of your child. A taller or older child might benefit from the additional room a full or queen-size provides. However, if space is an issue, twin sized mattresses are a good choice as they don’t take up much room, and you can select an extra-long twin for children who are taller.
- Avoid buying or “borrowing” a used mattress. Sure you’ll save a buck, but unless you know the previous owner really well, you have no idea of the cleanliness of the mattress, and an unsanitary mattress can lead to health issues.
- Don’t piecemeal it together. Even if you are borrowing a mattress, make sure you also take the box springs that go with it. Mattresses and box springs are designed to work together and, as such, should be purchased or borrowed as a unit.
- Consider eco options. Mattresses have come a long way in terms of materials, and there are plenty of organic options on the market that are much healthier for your child. Why? One reason is that materials such as organic wool are naturally flame retardant, which means there is no need for toxic chemical coatings in the manufacturing of these child mattresses.
- Many experts agree that firm mattresses are best for supporting a child’s developing bones.
- Finally, if you’ve ever seen a child jump on a bed, you understand why you should consider durability and strength when it comes to choosing child mattresses.
At Parklane Mattresses, our experts are well versed in child mattresses and can help you select the best one to meet your child’s needs and your budget. Visit us today!