We all know sleep feels great. It gives us energy, and rejuvenates and empowers us to get up, get going, and take on the day. But did you know sleep is so much more than that? It’s a process that’s vital to our bodies and systems, and plays a crucial role in our overall health.
Exactly why is sleep important? Here are just a few of the many reasons:
- Sleep improves your mental abilities. Sleep benefits your brain, improving learning and memory skills. A lack of sleep, however, tends to have the opposite effect. It can make decision making and problem solving difficult, affect your mood, and lead to anxiety, depression, and other mental issues.
- Sleep is vital to your heart. While you sleep, your body is able to repair your heart and blood vessels, which lowers your risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, and diabetes.
- Sleep impacts your hormones. Getting the proper amount of sleep helps keep your hormones in check. That means a lower chance of obesity and weight gain, and a healthier body in general.
- Sleep boosts your immune system. In order to properly fight off bacteria and infection, your body needs sleep. If you’re not getting enough, your immune system can actually be lowered, making you more susceptible to sickness.
- Sleep keeps you safe. If you regularly drive a vehicle, then sleep is extremely crucial. Without ample rest, your ability to operate a vehicle safely drops dramatically, putting you, your passengers, and others on the road at risk.
Sleep is the foundation on which your entire body, systems, and organs operate, so if you’re wondering why is sleep important, just remember the above facts.
Are you getting the right amount of sleep? If not, it may be time to invest in a new mattress. Stop by Parklane Mattresses today to find the perfect one.